2.25.2010

look who sleeps in a big girl bed!


an amazing family friend offered us the twin bed that her daughter had grown out of. i'd been searching thrift stores, craig's list, and all other budget friendly places for months looking for the right twin bed for grace. i wanted to go straight to the twin size rather than a toddler bed so that it would last for years to come.
this bed wasn't at all what i had been looking for, but grace loves it and it was FREE! storage underneath and mattress included. awesome.
mark and i were pretty sure that the transition to big girl bed would be pretty rough since grace had been sleeping in our bed for the past 6 months - it all started when we brought in her one night because she had the sniffles. 6 months later she still slept with us because we loved it. each night she would ask to hold our hands. she would sing little longs and chatter away about her day until she nodded off to sleep. we would wake up each morning to puppy kisses. it was our little piece of heaven.
we were wrong though, she loved the bed the minute it arrived. she picked out her own sheets, directed us in what should go on the bed, and has slept in it ever since. sometimes i crawl in next to her in the middle of the night because i miss her.
i try to remind her that even though she is going to be a big sister, she will still be my baby.

8 comments:

Emily said...

oh my gosh, YOU are a good mom. I seriously hate it when my kids get in bed with me. I feel like I'm around them all day, I need my space at night. But that's just me. How awesome that the transition went so smoothly!

We had a similar first bed situation. My sister gave us this playhouse bed--the playhouse was underneath, bed was on top. Not at all what I wanted, but man did the kid love it, and I could store his toys underneath. It was heaven.

Kaydence said...

I think kids love their own beds. I've not had a difficult crib-to-bed transition yet. I love the way the tree on the wall came out, also. So cute.

Kaydence said...

I think kids love their own beds. I've not had a difficult crib-to-bed transition yet. I love the way the tree on the wall came out, also. So cute.

vanessa said...

oh wow, she LOOKS like such a big girl on that bed. man, when did she grow up? she looks very safely contained in there. i don't blame you for sneaking in there with her, sleeping little ones are like sedatives to me, i love it.

Tim, Annie, Jack said...

Her room is adorable, Did you paint her tree? Trust me once number two arrives you will be grateful Grace has decided to like her big girl bed! Jack thinks his is cool, but only in the day time or if one of us is in it with him...

Tony and Courtney Bozzuto said...

Love the room, too cute! Do you have a name for Your new baby girl?

Jessica said...

carter comes into our bed most mornings around 5 and asks to snuggle with me. i love it, b/c i know one day, the last thing he will want to do is snuggle with me! oh, and i LOVE her room!

Jenny said...

thanks! the room makes grace happy, so that makes me happy also. i suppose it's like most rooms in our house though, a never-ending project!